Things To Teach Your Child About Failure
Do we tend to criticize our children when they fail? Sometimes we are guilty and tend to do that because we love our children and want what’s best for them. When really, only criticizing our children brings shame and discouragement. As Master Carlos Gracie Jr. said, “There is no losing in Jiu-Jitsu, you either win or you learn.” Do we teach our children about failure in a loving way? On all pro dad we found an article on the Top 10 Things To Teach Your Children About Failure.
- Not everybody gets a trophy– We need to teach our children that not everyone always wins. Rewarding your child for doing nothing teaches them nothing.
- Everyone has different talents-Guide your child to what they are talented at
- Be a good sport
- Learn from mistakes
- Teaching others– encourage your child to share their mistakes with others to help their team mate.
- Leave it on the mats-encourage them to do their best
- Know how to win
- Definition of success– teach your children the true definition of success
- Sense of humor
In the clip below from Little Giants, the coach took the kids that didn’t make the all star pee wee football team and formed his own team so his daughter could play football. In the end of the movie, his team goes against the pee wee all star team and are losing after the first 3 quarters he gives a motivational speech for the last quarter of the football game. This is a great example of how to not criticize your child after failure.
To read more about the article click